- 1978, Ph.D., Oceanography and Limnology, University of Wisconsin
- 1973, M.S., Botany (plant ecology), University of Wisconsin
- 1971, B.A., (Magna cum laude) Biology, Lawrence University
- 2004 – continuing, Principal Scientist and Manager, E2 Consulting Engineers, Inc.
- 1998 – 2004, Principal, The Cadmus Group, Inc., Maryville, TN
- 1992 – 1998, Vice President, SENES Oak Ridge, Center for Risk Analysis
- 1984 – continuing, Adjunct faculty, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- 1980 – 1992, Research Staff Scientist, Environmental Sciences Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN
- 1978 – 1980, Senior Scientist, Institute of Ecology, University of Georgia
Relevant Project Experience:
- U.S. Department of Agriculture. Developed a conceptual framework and operational model to assess reduction of risk of exotic species invasions afforded by alternative wood treatment technologies. The risk-reduction model is national in scope and simulates probabilities of exotic pest establishment via the solid wood packing material pathway at ports and airports. The model explicitly addresses uncertainty in model input values and performs a sensitivity analysis to identify key sources of imprecision in model results.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Developed a risk-based decision model to assist the Corps in evaluating the human safety, infrastructure, and environmental implications of alternative engineering designs for renovation of Lock and Dam 3 on the Upper Mississippi River. The event-oriented model characterizes risks and benefits, including environmental impacts, in a probabilistic framework. The interactive computer application also provides for sensitivity and uncertainty analysis of model results to identify critical input variables.
Selected Publications: (from 120)
- Dale, V., S. Bartell, R. Brothers, and J. Sorenson. 2004. A systems approach to environmental security. EcoHealth 1:119-123.
- Bartell, S.M. 2003. Effective use of ecological modeling in management: the toolkit concept, pp. 211-220. In, Dale, V.H. (Ed.), Ecological Modeling for Resource Management. Springer-Verlag, Berlin..
- Bartell, S.M., and S.K. Nair. 2003. Establishment risks for invasive species. Risk Analysis 24:833-845.
- Bartell, S.M., R.H. Gardner, and R.V. O’Neill. 1992. Ecological Risk Estimation. Lewis Publishers, Inc., Chelsea, Michigan. 233 p.